Anemia in Cats: The anemia occurs when there are a low number of red blood cells causing less oxygen in the body. In some cases, the body produces red blood cells quickly, but not fast enough to counteract losses. The causes of anemia in cats are many and varied.
Best Solution for How to Remove Cat Dandruff with Home Remedies
So in this article, we give you some tips so you can know if your cat has anemia. You will recognize the symptoms, the causes and the possible treatments that are there. So that your cat with anemia can recover as soon as possible. It can take three to five days for the bone marrow to respond to blood loss, by producing new red blood cells.
Causes of Anemia in Cats:
Cats can experience anemia due to different factors ranging from simple hemorrhages to more serious contagious infections that should be treated specifically. Here are the most common causes of anemia in cats :
- Trauma or hemorrhage: if your pet has suffered a blow or accident. It may have lost a lot of blood or have suffered internal bleeding.
- External parasites: fleas, ticks or lice can cause a cat to lose lots of blood and, therefore, suffer from anemia.
- Feeding with few minerals: There are some feeds for cats that do not contain iron, microminerals, essential fatty acids or vitamins that help to incorporate red blood cells in the blood. Therefore, before buying a food for your pet it is important that you listen to the opinion of a specialist and advise you on your purchase. In a How we tell you how to make healthy homemade food for your cat.
- More serious diseases: feline leukemia, infectious peritonitis or kidney failure can cause red blood cells to be lost, so it is essential that if you think your cat has anemia you will take it to your veterinarian for a thorough diagnosis.
- Infectious anemia: in addition to these causes, there are some infectious agents that can cause a cat to suffer from anemia. The parasite Mycoplasma Haemophilus is transmitted in cats by fleas, ticks or by the bite of other cats; Without proper treatment, up to 30% of those infected may die.
Another parasite that can cause anemia to our pet is the Cytauxzoon files which, although less common than the previous one, can be transmitted by ticks and affects, above all, animals that live in rural and forested areas. This infection is usually lethal for domestic cats with a rapid death.
Symptoms of Anemia in Cats:
There are some clear symptoms that will help you know if a cat has anemia. As soon as you see that the health of your pet has changed and that your mood can be due to this condition, it is essential that you go to a veterinarian to determine the treatment to follow.
Interesting facts to know: Can Cats Eat Chocolate? Essential Facts You Need to Know
- Irregular beats: If you see that your cat has difficulty breathing or you feel that your heartbeat is abnormal, it may be a symptom of feline anemia.
- Loss of appetite: if your cat is not hungry and refuses food, even the one he likes the most, he may be suffering from this disease.
- Weight loss: it is also very common for cats to lose weight when they have anemia, so in order to control the weight of your cat, it is recommended that you weigh your pet frequently.
- Nausea and vomiting: this is another symptom that these animals can suffer if they have anemia.
- Tiredness: if you see that you sleep more than usual or that you are almost never animated, it may be due to a disease like this. Go to the vet for a checkup.
- Blood in the stool: anemia can also cause the appearance of blood in the waste of your animal.
- Paleness: the area of the nose, tongue or mouth can be affected by anemia. These body parts will look paler with a whiter or bluish hue. If so, take your cat to the doctor immediately.
It is recommended that if you perceive that your pet has one or more of these symptoms you will immediately take it to the veterinarian to examine it and determine which is the best treatment to heal it.
Treat Anemia in Cats:
Once you take your pet to the veterinarian, he will do a blood test to count red blood cells and analyze the type of blood that is present. Depending on the type of condition that has caused your cat to suffer from anemia. It will be given one treatment because it is not the same to treat anemia. Due to lack of nutrients than that caused by more serious diseases.
Check Out: Why Does My Cat Lick Me? 6 Things to Know
- Thus, we have that the treatment of anemia in cats that have suffered from a nutritious diet is based on changing food nutrients and planning a menu with a greater amount of iron and vitamins.
- If your cat suffers from this disease due to an accident or hemorrhage, the levels can be rebalanced by a blood transfusion.
- By means of an analysis of the feces of the animal it will be possible to determine if the cause of the anemia is caused by the presence of parasites; If so, your veterinarian will tell you what antibiotics your animal should take.
- In cases of more serious diseases such as leukemia or other types of cancers, the veterinarian will already indicate the steps to follow in order to treat the disease. As we tell you how to know if my cat has cancer so you can take into account the basic aspects of the disease.
This article is merely informative, we do not have the power to prescribe any veterinary treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case of any type of condition or discomfort.