Is you cat drinking a lot of water after food or before food, If you have noticed that your cat drinks a lot of water, you have to be alert. Usually in summer if the cat drinking lots of water then it will be common, even if your cat drinks in the other seasons also then it is a issue in your cats health that must be diagnosed immediately.
If the cat not eating or drinking then you must take your pet to veterinarian. The diseases that affect the urinary system of cats are the most common that veterinarians usually treat. Changes in a cat’s thirst are almost always a sign that can indicate that something is not right. We also have to pay close attention to how they urinate and where they do it because like everything it will give us indications that it could be a physiological alteration of the cat.
If you have a pet then you must know how much water should a cat drink and till how much is better for the cats. Here we are going to share about cat drinking a lot of water its common causes and effects and the symptoms of drinking too much water results in a serious issue in the health of your cats.
Cat Drinks too much Water
If a cat begins to drink more water than normal and even excess it is possible that if it is not for a specific physiological reason (heat, stress, medication, food) we are facing a possible sign of a disease. One of the most common is a renal failure (in this article we talk about kidney ailments in cats). But there are also other diseases associated with a cat drinking a lot of water, with an increase in the number of times it goes to the sandbox such as diabetes, kitten diarrhea or liver disease.
In any case you have to take into account that a cat can drink more simply when they are hot, when they have done an intense exercise or when they have had a strong mental stimulus as we mentioned before. The problem may come if it is something that you have observed repeatedly and continuously without an apparent cause.
Causes by which a Cat can drink more water than usual
If your cat drinks a lot of water, then below are some of the main causes for your cat abnormalities, you can see from below why is your cat drinking too much.
- It may be a worm infection see more about signs and symptoms of worms in cats. These parasites feed internally, so they are absorbing nutrients from the infected cat.
- It may be a liver related disease.
- You may be suffering, if you know it from a fever or infection.
- It could be a bladder infection.
- A renal failure.
- If you are under a steroid or anti-inflammatory medication, one of the side effects is that the kitten will drink a lot of water.
- You may suffer from heat, temporary dehydration and need to drink more water.
- You may have had a change from wet to dry food and therefore it is normal, that you can drink more often than before.
Try to observe these causes and identify what the reason may be. The important thing in case of being a latent disease is the speed to detect it and put it in the hands of a veterinarian.
What Should we do to know if my Cat Drinks more Water?
If cat drinking water in more amount then you can make it stabilize for following some precautions which you can see below. With this you can simply make your cat to avoid cat drinking.
- It is best to put a previously measured amount of water where you usually drink and calculate the daily consumption more accurately.
- We must observe our cat and confirm if it goes more to the sandbox than usual.
For cats over 10 years old (know about cat years calculator) if it is confirmed that they drink a lot of water and go to the sandbox we recommend that if it is not one of the points justified above such as a change of food to dry, or the effect of temperatures higher at home or in short, specific things that could justify it. We advise you to go to the veterinarian as soon as possible and consult it as it can be a dangerous disease such as diabetes, kidney or liver failure and in these cases, early detection is very important.
Other Articles on Cats
- Cat Losing Weight: Why does my Cat Lose Weight
- Blood in Cat Poop Causes and Effects
- Why are Cats Afraid of Cucumbers
- Do Cats Cry? Why Do Cats Cry at Night
If you found this article about cat drinking a lot of water and its causes as interesting then you can simply share it with your friends and they will also know about why a cat drinks a lot of water and its reasons. Share it to help other kittens and be informed. If you have had any experience on this topic and want to tell it do not hesitate to leave a comment below for the CatsFud community.