How to stop a kitten from biting: Although we adore our feline, they do not always turn out to be predictable pets, and often when faced with different stimuli they can react with something that bothers their owners: the bites. In most cases it is a warning to contract them more or a reaction to something that is unpleasant, so rather than training to stop doing so, we must be careful in the way that we approach our feline. In unComo.com we give you some tips so you know how to prevent your cat from biting you.
How to Stop a Kitten From Biting? Steps to follow:
Step – 1
We must learn to know and respect our animals. When a cat threatens us with the gesture of biting us or ends up doing it, it is usually because we have done something that displeases us, many times consciously, hence the animal reactions with discomfort.
That is why it is necessary to avoid this type of behavior, finally, they have no capacity for reasoning, and they react with the resources they have at their disposal.
Step – 2
When you caress your cat, look at how he reacts. They do not always feel comfortable with all the signs of affection, some of them, for example, resent the fact that they caress their tails, others their stomachs. Many times those annoying caresses end in bites, so avoid them.
Step – 3
Choose to buy toys to play with your cat instead of using your hands and feet. This way you will avoid that in the middle of the game, and without wanting to, also use your mouth to entertain yourself with you.
Step – 4
When the cat bites us in the middle of a game, our natural reaction is usually to quickly move our hand away, but this signal can indicate to the cat that we continue playing, it will go directly to us to continue having fun.
The appropriate reaction should be to move your hand slowly and give the cat a little nudge by saying NO in a forceful way. Another alternative is to gently grab her by the neck while you say No, this is the way moms discipline puppies when they grow up with them.
If you do this every time, I’ll see you, the feline will finally understand that he should not do it.
Step – 5
Hardly a cat bites you at the first sign of annoyance. Normally it warns us before with roars or movements. It is important to recognize these signs and the animal, by not doing what bothers you, in this way you will get rid of bites.
Step – 6
And when you have a visit at home, always warn them if there is any kind of caress or gesture that alters your cat, so that none of your guests will end up with a bad memory of your pet.
Training for Your Cat to Stop Scratching and Biting
- Game sessions offer the best opportunity to teach cats not to bite or scratch. It is in the game where you can perceive if your cat attacks even without being angry or scared. They bite and scratch because they are developing their hunting instincts. That’s why in the game you can teach your pet to be careful and gentle. Teach him to play with his legs, not with his claws or his teeth.
- Start by inviting your kitten to a fighting game. When he is playing softly, encourage him with words. Little by little, intensity and emotion increase without separating your cat’s sight.
- As soon as you see that your pet shows the claws or the teeth, lower the intensity or stop the game immediately. This usually causes him to calm down and retract his claws. That happens, summarize the game. If not, you must start the game once the cat is completely calm.
- In the game, the animal bites you or scratches you exaggerate screaming “ay”, interrupt the game immediately and go quietly without paying attention.
Kittens Love to Play:
- If you end a game session abruptly, you will give your pet a very powerful message. With few repetitions, your cat will learn that his behavior is very rough and very aggressive, which will surely soften to continue the game.
- While the cat is learning not to scratch or it is very important that you provide a toy that can “attack”, because of your hunting instincts will focus on the prey and not you.
- Although you have your pet with all the comforts in your home, you must not forget that cats are predators with a strong instinct of hunters.
- It is normal for cats to use teeth and claws to develop their instincts, so you should give them a natural way out with a toy or your cat will practice with your legs or your hands.
- If you leave some toys on the floor, your pet will give them a couple of swipes and quickly lose all interest. It is up to you to have fun with the toys, it must be an interactive game between you, the toy and your cat.
- One way to do this is to “animate” the toy by tying it with a thread at the end of a stick so that you can move it and your little friend follows it. Look in the pet stores for toys that you think could be interesting for your cat.