Do you have a cat and do cats get ticks. Yes obviously the cats have ticks and they should be removed. Ticks on cats can be occurred due to the dirt on his fur and other reasons. If you have a cat at home then you must know how to remove ticks from cats. If a cat has ticks then they can be removed using some methods that are explained here.
Ticks on Cats: The cats have ticks although luckily it is possible to detect them by means of a simple revision that the owner can do with his own hands on the body of the animal. But are they dangerous for the feline? How do you know what you can have? Can they be prevented? In addition to answering these questions, this article explains how to remove a tick from the cat in five steps: detect it, stay calm, brush the feline hair, use tweezers to remove it and go to the veterinarian in case of problems.
Removing ticks from cats will help the cat to get good sleep and it will not also be irritated every time. With the presence of ticks the cat get irritated and it starts rubbing its skin to the walls or to the humans or any other furniture at home. These may occur even in the hypoallergenic cats and all cats having fur.
How to Remove Ticks on Cats?
Like dogs, cats can also be bitten by ticks, they are dangerous parasites that not only feed on the feline’s blood but can transmit diseases through the bite on their skin. “Ticks crawl up your body to find the place to bite and get hooked to feed on your blood,” explains feline veterinarian and dermatologists. But the danger to the cat does not end here, if the tick is infected by a dangerous disease for the feline, these pathogens will enter their blood circle directly, where they can reproduce and grow at ease.
Has the cat lost his appetite and the desire to play? Do you have a few tenths of fever? These symptoms may indicate that the cat suffers the effects of summer heat, but be alert as these signals may also reveal that you have been bitten by a tick (or cat fleas). And these parasites can seriously endanger your health.
Some of the diseases that ticks can transmit to cats is Lyme disease, failure of the kidneys (a very delicate organ already in itself for felines) kidney disease in cats and even neurological dysfunction. Although they are not frequent, its dangerousness requires not to let your guard down and protect cats from ticks.
How to Remove a tick from the Cat?
1. Detect the tick
The ticks are large, so they can be detected with the naked eye. The first step to know if the cat has ticks is to wash his body with his hands: the parasite will be noticed as a small bump on the skin, it is recognizable by simple touch. His favorite areas are the head, neck, ears, and legs of the feline.
2. Keep Calm
If a tick has been found on the cat, you must remain calm. The great majority do not carry diseases and removed in time, they will not leave sequels to the animal.
3. Brush the cat’s hair
Once detected the ticks that have not yet adhered to the feline’s skin have not yet bitten and are loose in the hair, so they can be removed with a simple brushing, which is here reminded how to do in four steps.
4. Remove Cat ticks with Tweezers
But how to eliminate the tick from the body of the cat when it has already bitten? In this case, you have to arm yourself with a pair of small pliers or tweezers, like those used in hair removal. “The first step is to grab the tick with the tweezers as low as possible and closest to your head and therefore the feline’s skin,” explains veterinarians. Once trapped, a continuous outward force is exerted until it is removed. You have to make sure that the parasite is whole and that there is nothing left inside the body of the animal. Here are the steps to cure the wound left on the cat’s skin.
5. Go to the Veterinarian
And if you’re not sure you know how to remove a tick from the cat, it’s best to go to the vet. This visit is also important in case of removing a tick but it is not sure that the parasite has come out completely since the head inside the body of the cat can become infected.
How to Avoid Cat ticks
- The risk of ticks increases for cats with access to the outside, patios or gardens. As a result, indoor cats are not usually in need of specific medications (although you do have to pigeonhole the houses or adapt them to the cat’s needs). But you do have to take the ticks away from them even if they do not travel or do not have access to the outside of the house. Therefore the recognition with the hands never hurts.
- Cats are not dogs and you have to remember them again when referring to medicines to protect them from ticks. The reason is that canine methods against ticks can be dangerous, toxic and even poison felines. Therefore the veterinarian will be the best counselor before choosing a method against cat ticks.
- Systems to prevent ticks include oral medicines and syrups which are offered once a month, during which time the feline with access to the outside will be protected from the attack of these parasites.
- Other fighting resources are shampoos and anti parasitic collars. But since cats spend a third of their day preening, these products can be a danger if they are swallowed.
- The bathrooms with soaps that repel ticks are another method to protect cats familiar with water. It is convenient to remember the advice to bathe a cat. Know about how to bathe a cat perfectly.
- And collars against tick specific for cats are not worth the dog because they are dangerous and are another way to fight against ticks. But it can happen that the animal bites or licks its components with the consequent danger.
Other Similar Articles
With this you will know the ticks on cats symptoms and if you see the parasites on your cat then simply avoid them with the help of this article. Also you can simply use some home remedies to avoid ticks on cats. Visit our catsfud for more information.