Why Do Cats Sleep So Much: An adult cat can sleep between 12 and 15 hours a day, and a baby cat about 20 hours. Cats sleep because of issues of survival, climate, age, activity, sexuality, etc. The cat usually looks for cool places to sleep in the summer and warm ones in the winter.
Those of us who are lucky enough to share lives with cats know that much of the day is spent sleeping. And many times you see them sleeping so placidly that it causes you to sleep with them.
The fact that cats sleep a lot is not just a perception. An adult cat spends almost 70% of the day sleeping, with an average of 12 to 15 hours of sleep. As they get older, the hours of sleep increase.
When the kittens are very small, until 5 weeks, the sleep time is around
Why Do Cats Sleep So Much?
It is said that the main reason why a cat spends so many hours a day sleeping is its efficiency as a hunter. While domestic cats surely have no need or possibility to hunt, their instinct never lose.
Being such a good hunter makes the cat not need so much time to find food and can devote more to the pleasures of sleep.
But there 7 Reasons Why You Sleep So Much or Why Your Sleep Habits May Vary
- For survival: The fact that small kittens sleep so much is linked to staying in a safe place, while their mother goes out to hunt, without danger to be captured by predators. In addition, during the sleep of the baby kitten, the growth hormone is released.
- For hunger: Cats that are not domestic and must hunt for food sleepless hours to be able to spend the time of the day looking for food.
- By necessity: Cats need to sleep a lot by nature, and although they are domestic and do not have so much energy waste, they retain these characteristics of their wildest origin.
- Because of the temperature: When the temperature is low, the cats sleep even longer to save energy and keep warm. Going to sleep in the sun also helps them regulate the temperature of their body.
- According to age: As we have said, baby cats sleep more, adults sleep a lot but have more activity, and as they get older they go back to sleep longer.
- According to the activity: A cat that is bored and does not find how to entertain opts to spend more time sleeping. For that reason and for other reasons, it is important to play with cats.
- In periods of sexual desire: When the cats are in heat they sleep less time since they dedicate part of the day to mark the territory, to look for females, to be noticed for the males, etc.
You Like May Also: How long do cats live? Life Span of Popular Cat Breeds
How and Where do the Cats Sleep?
The postures that cats use to sleep are very diverse, being some very curious and worthy of the best contortionist. In fact, cats often sleep sitting or in really strange positions.
Although the cats spend many hours of the day sleeping, they do not sleep everything often. The cat’s dream is usually formed by short little naps, even a few minutes.
Most of the time the cat is in a light sleep. Which alternates with deep dreams in which his limbs, whiskers, etc. can move. It is said that cats also have some brain activity when they sleep, it is not exactly the human’s dream but it is similar.
Some time ago a video made famous in which a mother cat hugged her kitten while she slept, and speculated about the behavior of the kittens, which is explained by this way of sleeping cats.
It is better not to disturb the cat when it sleeps because its instinctive reaction will be immediate, and it is annoying for the animal.
The cat seeks the sun to sleep under it and regulate its temperature. The place chosen by the cat to sleep is usually a cool and quiet space in summer and a warm place in winter. Sleeping under the sun is one of your favorite activities. Many cats also choose comfortable places like our bed.
It is important to bear in mind that the cat, as a territorial animal, needs a space destined for rest. In the case of domestic cats, we must provide a place that fulfills this purpose.